Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Register
Working with Immigrant Families
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/9/2017 at 2:14:01 PM GMT
Share what you are hearing in the field from the children and families you work with about what they are feeling and experiencing in these challenging times for immigrants.  Tell us how you are changing your practice to address their questions and concerns.

Elena Trueworthy

Last edited Thursday, March 9, 2017
3/13/2017 at 3:51:29 PM GMT
Thank you for focusing on this topic. I'm finding that many families and providers are concerned about this. This is a subject that often comes up in our staff meetings. Some families are avoiding new service providers coming into their homes and lives as they are loosing trust. More concerning are the children who are talking about this in school. A school provider shared with me a discussion that she had with a group of boys who worry that their parents will be taken. The provider felt as helpless as the children.

3/21/2017 at 6:05:34 PM GMT

These are challenging and scary times for so many people.  I'm trying to stay informed and up-to-date with the latest information.  We've gathered resources for those working with immigrant families....
> Immigrant and Refugee Children A GUIDE FOR EDUCATORS AND SCHOOL SUPPORT STAFF

>FACT SHEET FOR FAMILIES AND SCHOOL STAFF:LIMITATIONS ON DHS IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS AT SENSITIVE LOCATIONS

Elena Trueworthy

3/22/2017 at 2:41:20 PM GMT

Information for Immigrant Parents:
As parents, we make decisions for our children. If a parent is not available, the children will need someone else to have that legal authority.

Check out the resources from Greater Hartford Legal Aid:
* "Planning for your child's security if you are detained or deported" (English) (Spanish)

Resources from CTLAWHELP.org
* Protecting your children if you are detained or deported
* Rights of immigrants
* Standby Guardianship Forms (English) (Spanish)

Last edited Wednesday, March 22, 2017
3/27/2017 at 5:42:04 PM GMT
Thank you for including this printed information. I will share this with Birth to Three families and providers.I find that it has been helpful as a provider to stay informed so the I know how to address parent fears and to refer them to safe resources.

HARTFORD FOUNDATION’S EARLY CHILDHOOD COLLABORATIVE

Our team works to align services, practices, policies, and resources at the local, regional, and state levels. Commitment, care, and support for children and families must happen at all of these levels in order to build and sustain a quality early childhood system.

Learn more about the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.

10 Columbus Boulevard, 8th Floor, Hartford CT 06106 | 860-548-1888

Become A Member